Mold Treatment Solutions

Thousands of homeowners face each and every year deciding on the best method for performing a mould treatment. However, when faced with this tough decision, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to the best solution to choose. Many ask, “Could I clean it up myself? Should I bring in a professional? Is it going to affect my health?” You may find more details about this at Mold treatment near me.

There are three main determining factors that should be taken into account before deciding how to proceed.

What is the size of the contaminated mould? The mere size of a project for mould cleanup and treatment may determine if it becomes a do-it-yourself procedure or not. A 3 by 3 foot (9 square feet) area is a consideration for making a decision of this nature. Usually if the area exceeds 9 square feet, it simply becomes too big a task for the average homeowner to tackle.

What kind of mould is it? The type of mould species can also be a significant determining factor and can require laboratory results from 3 to 10 days. This can be a dilemma since if the structure is occupied no one would want to wait that long to clean up the mould. This can be a judgement call, as the mould can be cleaned days before the results of the laboratory are received.

Who lives in the surrounding home? Before making a decision, the health and wellbeing of household members should always be a primary concern. Are there people living there who have their immune system compromised? There are small kids in the house? Are there home sufferers of severe allergies and asthma? These are all important questions to ask before a do-it-yourself mould cleanup is attempted.

Mold treatment plans may include spraying and wiping with a bleach solution to remove a few mould spots on a wall to complete mould-contaminated area isolation with full removal of contaminated wall board. Many homeowners have used the 9 square foot rule with little negative consequences but should only be tried if the three questions listed above are fully answered in, “Who lives in the home environment?”

Any mould remediation contractor or consultant, including myself, would however always be inclined to recommend contracting a mould removal professional for any size mould clean-up procedure. Removing mould from an indoor environment can be a much larger task than simply cleaning a surface visual mould from it. Dead (non-viable) mould particles are always present which should be removed after a cleanup procedure. The problem lies in the fact that mould particles can not be seen with the naked eye like many indoor air pollutants. Proper removal requires an experienced professional having a specific cleaning protocol with specific equipment.

Follow these guidelines once an area of any size and type has been determined to be contaminated with mould.

Limit the contaminated mould area by shutting or locking doors.

Turn off all return air ventilation and deliver air diffusers.

When entering contaminated area wear a disposable N95 mask.

Operate an air purifier and vacuum cleaner with H.E.P.A. (High Efficient Particulate Air) in adjacent areas to limit the spread of mould particles until a cleanup procedure has been performed.